The 2023 Call for Proposals ASTRID : Specific support for Defence Projects and Innovation
ASTRID positions itself as a program dedicated to supporting research projects of a highly exploratory and innovative nature, with low- to mid-maturity technology. Maximum funding is €400k and project duration is between 18 and 36 months. The program aims to support research projects beneficial to both defence and civilian sectors (dual-use).
Projects supported cover a broad range of thematic within the following axes:
- Information engineering
- Cyber defence
- Fluids and structures
- Acoustic and radioelectric waves
- Nanotechnology, sensors and components
- Energetic materials and energy
- Biology, health, CBRN defence
- Human-systems interactions
- Humanities linked to innovation management
- Marine engineering and geoscience
- Artificial intelligence
Follow-up projects may be submitted within the ASTRID Maturation program or AID funding mechanisms such as RAPID.
- A project leader will be able to coordinate simultaneously a project under the ASTRID program and a project under any other call for proposals operated by ANR of the same edition
- Allocated grants for a project will be inferior to €400k (whereas €300k for previous editions)
- Evolution in the thematic axes covered
- “Memory” effect between two ASTRID editions
Intellectual property clauses (IP)
Global technological and industrial competition needs to ensure the duality of applications from research results. In order to subject to prior authorisation from DGA the sale of intellectual properties resulting from the research studies, grant agreements for projects awarded funding within this call for proposals include intellectual properties clauses. More broadly, AID aims to promote the valorisation of scientific innovations and to provide the awarded project leaders a network of technical experts with industrial knowledge.
Reference document for defence innovation policy available on AID website https://www.defense.gouv.fr/aid/ in the “documents” tab
Contacts – French National Research Agency
The appelsprojetsrecherche.fr portal centralises all information on calls for proposals and calls for applications from ADEME, ANR, Inserm including ANRS, Anses and INCa. It provides a simplified access to upcoming and ongoing calls, giving a greater visibility to funding opportunities. Following their closing date, the calls remain published for a few months.