The Odatis-Ocean cluster (Pôle Ocean–Odatis, www.odatis-ocean.fr), part of the French DataTerra Research Infrastructure, is a national network of Data and Service Centres (DSC) operated by five research organizations and the Federation of the Marine Universities. Odatis manages marine physical, chemical and biological variables from the coastal to the deep sea, recorded by satellites, in-situ observatories, sea cruises and sample analyses in laboratories. As the ocean is a shared environment at a global scale, several of these data centres are deeply involved in world-wide programs, Research Data Alliance (RDA) working groups and European initiatives promoting the FAIR data principles and participating in the European Open Science Cloud (EOSC). However, this involvement is not fully and homogeneously shared among the Odatis consortium and needs to be expanded. In this context, the objectives of the COPiLOtE project are:
- To harmonize the implementation of the FAIR principles (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, Reusable) within the Odatis Data and Service Centres;
- To improve the data distribution and services managed by the Odatis DSCs in order to reach the Core Trustworthy Data Repositories requirements for the RDA Core Trust Seal certification application.
These objectives will be reached by the following action plan, based on scientific use cases identified by the Odatis Scientific Board, divided into the following tasks:
- To establish a diagnosis of each DSC with respect to the FAIR data principles;
- To write implementation guidelines and templates;
- To organize training courses about concepts, software and services to be implemented to fulfil the FAIR objectives;
- To provide technical support in order to facilitate the standardization, harmonization and upgrade of the ODATIS DSC;
- To improve the relationships with existing IT infrastructures in France, by exploring possible collaborations for improving quality and availability of provided services.
This work will benefit from the experience of partners already involved in this process. The final aim is that each Data and Services Centres of the Odatis Ocean cluster reaches at least the level 3 “The repository is in the implementation phase” for all criterions of the Core Trust Seal certification.
Monsieur Gilbert Maudire (Département Infrastructures de Recherche et Systèmes d'Information)
The author of this summary is the project coordinator, who is responsible for the content of this summary. The ANR declines any responsibility as for its contents.
IFREMER - IRSI Département Infrastructures de Recherche et Systèmes d'Information
CNRS-ODATIS CNRS-Laboratoire Environnements et paléoenvironnements océaniques et continentaux
LEGOS Laboratoire d'études en géophysique et océanographie spatiales
SBR Station biologique de Roscoff
LOV LOV Laboratoire d'océanographie de Villefranche
Help of the ANR 99,895 euros
Beginning and duration of the scientific project: December 2019 - 24 Months